1. Store nail polish in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight.
2. File nails into a 'squoval' shape. Very round or pointy shaped nails can be more prone to breakages.
3. Before starting your manicure, 'squeak' nails using nail polish remover to remove any excess oil or moisture from the nails. This can be done using cotton wool and a little nail polish remover.
4. Always use a base coat. This will protect your nails from staining and will allow your nail polish to better adhere to your nails.
5. Apply two coats of your chosen nail polish colour. Be careful not to overload your brush - very thick coats of nail polish are more prone to chipping.
6. Finish with a top coat. Make sure you seal the free edge (the part that you filed) to reduce the chance of chipping.
7. Apply cuticle oil daily to hydrate nails. This will help avoid splitting.
8. Buff nails once a week to help create a smooth, ridge free surface.